Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Habichuelas con Arroz (Red Beans and Rice)

I grew up in Miami eating black beans and rice as all Cubans do and then I fell in love with an incredible Puerto Rican man and wanted to learn how to cook all of his favorite dishes. I searched high and low for a good recipe and have tweaked a few to create a very easy and delicious recipe that most importantly my husband loves!

3 slices thick cut bacon or 4 slices regular bacon
Sofrito made with half an onion, green pepper and 3 cloves garlic (see earlier post)
1 can habichuelas (red beans)
1 canful water
1/2 cup rice
1 bay leaf
1 package Goya seasoning (I like the Goya seasoning con azafran)
Salt and Pepper to taste




Cut raw bacon with kitchen scissors if you have them, if not, cook over medium heat in whole pieces and cut with a knife into bite size pieces once they are done and cool enough to handle. Once bacon is browned but not crispy, remove bacon from heat and add sofrito into warm bacon oil. If browning too quickly, lower heat to medium low. Once onion in sofrito is soft, add bacon back into pan and season with salt and pepper. Add one can of red beans, water, rice and spices. Turn heat up to high and allow most of the water to evaporate. Turn heat to low and cover until done, approximately 10 more minutes.

Picture above is the recipe doubled.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this recipe. Easy ingredients big taste. I did have my own sofrito which I added, but I'll make sure to try your recipe since it's very easy too. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete